I’m soooo loving this project!! I’ve been wanting to get rid of the microwave and install a hood fan for a while. I’ve always loved the Gourmet Hood Fans but they are pricey and I don’t have the space.
Here’s my list of reasons why the microwave HAD to go….don’t worry it’s getting a new home IN THE WALL by the pantry….the list:
- Steam would collect on the microwave and drip into food I was cooking. *GROSS! I guess my fan in the microwave wasn’t doing it’s job.
- The door of the microwave gets opened and closed so much, even while I’m cooking….so, what’s DROPPING into my pots? I don’t even want to think about that!
- The stove, microwave, sink, fridge, are all in the corner. There’s 8 of us (#9 is at college) all trying to do ‘something’ in THAT corner, it gets crowded! *this is what sold the idea to the husband
- I knew I could sell the old microwave and almost cover the cost.
- We have a space by the pantry that gets low traffic and has enough room for the new little microwave to get built into the wall – post coming soon.
- Because I wanted to and The Husband loves me!
See the baby microwave in the corner, it won’t be there long, yeehaw!
Now, what to do about the backsplash……..
My first thought was to use faux tin tiles but the cost would be $36, I’d have left-overs tho, but I’m cheap and want to do it for less. I’m sure tile would be much more but it seems like it would be easier to clean. Making a chalkboard would be the cheapest but I’m concerned about my 6yo climbing up to draw on it….I could paint a chalkboard somewhere else for him. *now I’m thinking
p.s. I can’t wait to show you my kitchen when it’s done….it’s getting there!